From Simon Svensson <si...@devhost.se>
Subject Re: Update on dev happenings
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:24:46 GMT
Hi,

I'm back after a week of districtions, with some further thoughts about
TeamCity.

I don't think we can trust the agents to ever have a known state, or
even share a common state. The obvious(?) answer is docker. Is docker
installed on the agent, and are we allowed to pull down docker images on
the agents? Can we use windows containers? (I believe it defaults to
linux containers.)

I believe that my permission level doesn't allow me to change the
existing build configuration, but I really hope there's a Docker build
step...

The following docker run command will build the project. The %CD% should
expand to the lucenenet project root. I'm seeing some weird timings, it
takes minutes to restore packages for a single project, but I'll be open
and say that it could be something I've done to myself in my
experimenting with weird stuff. (And Windows started informing me about
low disk space when writing that sentence...)

docker run ^
 --rm ^
 --env DOTNET_CLI_TELEMETRY_OPTOUT=1 ^
 --volume %CD%:c:\build ^
 --workdir c:\build ^
 mcr.microsoft.com/windows/servercore:1809 ^
 POWERSHELL "Import-Module .\build\psake.psm1; Invoke-psake
.\build\build.ps1 -properties @{backup_files='false'}"

Are there any support forums or similar for the hosted teamcity for
opensource projects? Or do we have any secret contacts that has all the
answers?

// Simon Svensson

On 2019-02-10 22:49, Simon Svensson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, I messed something up and managed to build the master branch instead
> of my sisve-debugging-build branch... and it worked. I havn't figured
> out why. Probably server gnomes.
>
> It seems there are several agents/runners; and they aren't rolled back
> to a clean state between builds. I triggered the build on the real
> branch, and it got stuck on low disk space. After a few minutes I
> forcefully stopped it. It's still attempting to clean when I am writing
> this. (I wonder if I just messed up an agent...)
>
> The second attempt ran into the problem with non-working dotnet again.
>
> This is the build log from my accidentally working build. Note that
> there is already an old sdk installed, and a total of four sdks
> installed after dotnet-install has executed.
> https://teamcity.jetbrains.com/viewLog.html?buildId=1960125&tab=buildLog&_focus=1200
>
> It scares me slightly that this agent, the one that succeeded with the
> build, had builds since December 2016 in the build history...
> https://teamcity.jetbrains.com/agentDetails.html?id=170591&tab=agentHistory&page=31
>
> I will continue reading up on how TeamCity works, and the agents, and
> try to figure out why we had an agent with lots of sdks and .net
> runtimes installed.
>
> // Simon Svensson
>
> On 2019-02-09 19:41, Laimonas Simutis wrote:
>> Simon,
>>
>> You should have access now to the project configuration. Let us know how it
>> goes. From the logs it looks like the project attempts to install .net cli
>> and fails and restore can't run, nor the build steps.
>>
>> Good luck. I will ping here if I have any breakthroughs myself.
>>

>> Laimonas
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 3:52 AM Simon Svensson <sisve@devhost.se> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My JetBrains login would be the secretive "sisve@devhost.se".