From Chris Moschini <ch...@brass9.com>
Subject async and Lucene 5.5
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2018 20:01:15 GMT
Hi, thanks for porting Lucene to .Net.

Two questions:

1) Is there any reason async is not used in write/search? Underneath the
hood, .Net has a lot of great async/Windows I/O ports plumbing to improve
threading performance when reading and writing to disk. It seems like at
least the Commit() and Search() methods would benefit from an async
approach.

2) I see that the Java version has moved forward to 5.5 - is there any
benefit from advancing to this version on the .Net side, and if so, any
plan to advance this project to that version?

I'm working on a .Net site that needs Search, worked in Java about a decade
ago, and have worked in .Net ever since, so no promises but if I can get
Lucene to a strong enough position in the project I can justify
contributing back in porting fixes and things over. I'm not clear on what
would be most needed tho as I'm just at the trying out phase with
Lucene.Net. It may even be the most important needed work is around the
contrib stuff? Unclear.