From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Streamlining website, docs & getting started
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2018 08:40:05 GMT
On 2018-06-05, Rob Vesse wrote:

> One important correction, the contributing page currently says the following:

>>    Individual Contributor License - We need this to accept any code you submit

> This is wrong! Apache only requires ICLAs from committers who have write access to Apache
repositories, contributors can submit ICLAs but these are not required by the foundation.
 Contributions are explicitly covered by Clause 5 of the Apache License [1]:

Rob is correct and I am probably to blame for the overzealous ICLA
requirement here - even though I cannot find this requirement in any of
our existing docs, likely haven't searched hard enough.

Different ASF communities have different standards for when they start
requiring a CLA and I happen to come from one that likes CLAs for all
significant changes.

There is no real legal requirement that would prevent us from dropping
this and rely on the Apache license terms.

Stefan