From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: Streamlining website, docs & getting started
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2018 15:24:41 GMT
Great work on the docs!

> >    - The wiki is based on confluence:
> >    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENENET/ Can we remove
> >    this? A lot of this info is duplicated in the docs and it seems like
> >    updated markdown files in the repo would be easier to contribute to
> than
> >    this other system.

No objection to shutting down the WIKI, but do note that some of the info doesn't exist anywhere
else. We will definitely need to migrate the content from the Getting Involved section and
the top 2 links from the Infrastructure section somewhere else if we shut it down (they may
need some fact checking, though).

> I'd be happy to put together a POC for the main website using docfx since
> that's what already being used for the docs generation. Of course design,
> etc.. can come later (i'm no designer ;)

I am pretty happy with the look and feel that George Kinsman came up with: https://github.com/gkinsman/LuceneNetDraftSite.

I started tinkering with the Logo design, but we should probably either keep the existing
images, or try to get someone to contribute them. There are a lot of different logos and badge
sizes that would need to be redesigned if we went with a new logo: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/tree/master/branding/logo.
But contributing new logos could be a great opportunity for a graphic designer who wants to
demonstrate their skills.

Also, be sure to check out last year's conversation about the web site on the mailing list.
There were a lot of ideas thrown around there.

https://apache.markmail.org/search/?q=lucenenet+%22new+website%22+order%3Adate-backward#query:lucenenet%20%22new%20website%22%20order%3Adate-backward+page:1+mid:td3gwv4u7mpxilkv+state:results