From Shannon Deminick <shan...@umbraco.dk>
Subject Streamlining website, docs & getting started
Date Wed, 30 May 2018 05:19:08 GMT
Hi all,

I mentioned that I would like to get the current state of the website,
documentation, getting started guide, etc... into a more usable state which
would help promote getting more contributors to the project. The current
4.8 docs project based on docfx is pretty far and can be easily updated.

I'd love to get the current website https://lucenenet.apache.org content
converted to this new format where it makes sense and I'm happy to do all
of the copy/pasting/formatting, etc... I could setup a temporary azure
website with the built docs for 4.8 and put placeholders for the content
for moving all of this info into one place so we can see how it could work.

Currently everything is quite outdated and it seems the same questions are
asked on the mail list over and over again. It would be pretty great to
have a site that isn't outdated with easy steps to get started and a
reference to what's remaining. And if the site is in the source it will be
easy for anyone to help update.

Before I start, does anyone object to me doing this?

Also some questions:

   - The wiki is based on confluence:
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENENET/ Can we remove
   this? A lot of this info is duplicated in the docs and it seems like
   updated markdown files in the repo would be easier to contribute to than
   this other system.
   - Can i get access to the markdown source for this to make it easier to
   port over?
   - Where/how is the site https://lucenenet.apache.org hosted?
   - How is it deployed? (i.e. FTP, etc..?)

Cheers,
Shannon