From farhad khalafi <farhad.khal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: State / Future of the Lucene.Net Project
Date Tue, 29 May 2018 14:58:38 GMT
Stefan,

Thank you for your help in keeping this project alive up to this point and
trying to re-ignite some interest in moving it forward.

I have a few questions that will influence the extent of my possible
involvement with this project.

1. The current version of Lucene.Net is 3.0.3 which was released on October
10, 2012. I am assuming this was on par with the Java code of the same
version.
2. The current effort that you describe is targeting 4.8.0 and possibly
4.8.1 of the Lucene codebase.
3. The current Java version of Lucene is 7.3.1.

As I am not very familiar with advanced features of each version, could you
summarize what major enhancements are included as you move from 3.0.3 to
4.8.1 to 7.3.1

The version numbers are abstract and don't tell much about feature gaps as
we try to play catch with the Java version.

Are we going to attract a significantly larger community of users as we
move to version 4.8.1?

What will be missing as compared to the current Java version?

I fully appreciate the amount of work involved in porting this code even
when using automated tools.
I am just not sure that once the task is accomplished, the users will not
dismiss it as an already "outdated version".

We will also be competing with active projects like Elastic Search for .NET
(NEST) project. Maybe low-level access to Lucene core is not that important
anymore?

Thanks again,
Farhad