From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject State / Future of the Lucene.Net Project
Date Mon, 28 May 2018 15:48:28 GMT
Hi all

it is pretty difficult to write a message like this. I've been one of
Lucene.Net's mentors during Apache incubation and even though I never
contributed anything significant (at least code-wise) I really care for
the project and its community.

For more than a year Shad has been the only committer who actually
committed to the code base but despite his herculean effort we haven't
been able to attract new contributors.

Of the project management committee most people seem to be absent by now
and the project has rightfully raised concerns by the board [1][2]

There really are only two options.

* we create a credible plan how to get Lucene.Net back into a healthy
  state with multiple contributors and a more active PMC and execute on
  it

* we start the process of sending the project to the Apache Attic
  http://attic.apache.org/ (which is not a one-way road, projects ca be
  re-surrected if a new community emerges).

We probably should start with trying the first option. We have tried to
find new contributors in the past but haven't been succeful, let's give
it one more try.

What we need are people who are willing to contribute for more than a
single pull request or two and who are willing to become members of the
developer community here at Apache. If you think this description fits
you, please raise your hand :-)

Stefan

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c44ef94020271b3823fe356a255d693a76287c1214743dfc074621de@%3Cdev.lucenenet.apache.org%3E
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/70a34c2cd3298afe02827c219e2dc2b66ae594aabcbaa33265301a44@%3Cdev.lucenenet.apache.org%3E