From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Streamlining website, docs & getting started
Date Wed, 30 May 2018 07:29:51 GMT
On 2018-05-30, Shannon Deminick wrote:

> I mentioned that I would like to get the current state of the website,
> documentation, getting started guide, etc... into a more usable state which
> would help promote getting more contributors to the project. The current
> 4.8 docs project based on docfx is pretty far and can be easily updated.

Great.

> I'd love to get the current website https://lucenenet.apache.org content
> converted to this new format where it makes sense and I'm happy to do all
> of the copy/pasting/formatting, etc...

Please not there are a few "branding" policies an *.apache.org wesite
has to adhere to, see http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs . TBH
I don't believe the current site is matching all requirements :-)

> Before I start, does anyone object to me doing this?

I'm not sure I understand the technical requirements the solution you
are working on will impose on the website. We may need to involve infra
if we need more than static pages in the end.

> Also some questions:

>    - The wiki is based on confluence:
>    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENENET/ Can we remove
>    this? A lot of this info is duplicated in the docs and it seems like
>    updated markdown files in the repo would be easier to contribute to than
>    this other system.

Sure, we can turn off the Wiki if we no longer see any value in it.

>    - Can i get access to the markdown source for this to make it easier to
>    port over?

I don't believe the Confluence installation is using markdown at all.

>    - Where/how is the site https://lucenenet.apache.org hosted?

Run on ASF infrastructure operated by our infra team.

>    - How is it deployed? (i.e. FTP, etc..?)

In general there are three options of hosting a *.apache.org website,
see http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html .

We currently use the Apache CMS which at one point in time was the
recommended approach but no longer is. Actually the CMS uses svnpubsub
under the covers together with a Buildbot run job that creates static
pages from a bunch of templates. The sources for the site can be found
at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene.net/site/trunk/

We are free to switch from CMS to any of the alternative approaches.

I haven't got any first hand experience with gitpubsub but do know
svnpubsub as something robust. I've heard gitpubsub tends to get into
trouble with bigger changesets, so we may need to tweak the generated
content to not contain last modified timestamps and things like that.

Stefan