From Prescott Nasser <geobmx...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Barrier to Entry?
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:15:36 GMT
Weird as PMC Chair and what not - but I will say the thing that always slows me down is the
documentation for what's bring ported now (with appropriate links to the java code), what
needs work, open tickets, etc.

We have JIRA, but it's not really updated or used much by many, we have the mailing lists
where from time to time someone puts in the work to document all the stuff that is being worked
on (Shad lately has been running with the torch), but we don't have a single place that everyone
can easily get to and see what's going on that is kept up to date.

If we had people who maybe just like to document stuff, keep it clean, keep it updated, in
a central location, with the right links all over the place etc.

We've put effort in the past in this kind of stuff, and we always lose steam unfortunately

~P

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:44 AM
To: dev@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: Barrier to Entry?

Hi all,

it looks as if we had a rather big user community but almost nobody seems to be interested
in contributing. There are occasional pull requests but not that many.

I wonder whether there is anything that keeps people away from contributing. Is it the complexity
of the project, the "port from Java"
aspect or are there technical or procedural issues that we could change to make it easier
for others to contribute?

Stefan