From Laimonas Simutis <lai...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Barrier to Entry?
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:03:49 GMT
Here is my experience:

The good:

I spent about 4 months in 2015 fixing bugs in 4.8, those were the days when
unit tests had thousands of failures. Eventually got it down to under a
hundred (in the core) and that part was rewarding. The code base is complex
but that made the experience challenging in a good way: it was like having
many puzzles to solve.

The bad:

The code base is complex :) The contribution curve is VERY steep. You need
to spend a lot of time before you start to understand how bits move around
and how things work. It's not easy. I think it's a hard project to
contribute to.

I reached a point where after fixing numerous bugs it got to the point of
"same old, same old". The excitement was gone and I moved on to other
endeavors. I still think I would have continued hacking away if I needed
Lucene.net for a day to day job function. But I don't, using elasticsearch
instead.

I still get an itch from time to time to contribute here but it feels like
what's left is minor stuff implementation wise (I could be wrong here) and
again you can't just jump in for 5 mins here and there so who knows if I
would really find time to do this. Site update and doc work is less
appealing to somebody like me.