From Harold Harkema <harold.hark...@embracesbs.com>
Subject RE: Barrier to Entry?
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2018 15:26:35 GMT
I have an item for the Help Wanted list ;-)

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-598

We are really satisfied with the Lucene.Net 4.8. I was under the impression that the Lucene
4.8 port was almost finished. But I'm getting doubts when I see the current thread of emails.
We converted everything in our application from 3.0.3 to 4.8 and everything seems production
ready, except for the mentioned Jira issue.

Harold

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: vrijdag 12 januari 2018 16:16
To: dev@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: Re: Barrier to Entry?

Hi all

thank you for the responses so far.

What I've seen as a repeating theme is

* the project has looked dead for a long time and in a way still does -
  this site hasn't been updated in ages

* it is unclear what is currently being worked on and where help is
  needed

* contributing to the parts that are being ported directly from Java is
  difficult - and at the same time doesn't look attractive as in the end
  the Java code base dictates what happens

The first two things we may be able to tackle, for the third part I don't think there is anything
we could do. Unless we wanted to drop the idea of a straight port completely, which I doubt
(note I have never contributed any code myself, I'm completely clueless).

Then it looks as if we know there are things outside of the core port that are in need of
people helping out and at the same time people don't know where to help. Can we put together
some kind of "help wanted" list and publish that on the website?

Stefan