From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Barrier to Entry?
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2018 15:36:37 GMT
On 2018-01-11, Matthew J Babcock wrote:

> - Being an Apache project is a great benefit for users, but it adds
> overhead for contributors with questionable benefit, e.g. the
> Individual Contributor License Agreement. Slowing the time needed to
> perform that first commit is an unexpectedly heavy deterrent.

We should only require an ICLA for big changes, maybe we should make
that clearer. I'm pretty sure Shad has merged PRs without ICLAs in the
past. Still, this may be a perceived obstacle.

> The biggest hurdle for me has been figuring out what to contribute. I
> only have at most an hour a week and after spending the first couple
> of hours just trying to figure out where to start, I lost
> interest. I've been spoiled by the GitHub issue workflow, and I'm sure
> other OSS devs have as well. Jira feels clunky and doesn't really seem
> to be used effectively when your contributing guide says "If you are
> thinking of making a change that will result in more than 25 lines of
> changed code, we would appreciate you opening a discussion on our
> developer mailing list before you start writing." Yuck.

There is nothing at the ASF that forces us to use JIRA. We can certainly
work with the usual github workflows. I must admit I haven't read our
contributing guide in a long time and this "25 lines" (that comment
isn't all that encouraging. Thank you for pointing it out.

Stefan