From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Barrier to Entry?
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2018 15:16:03 GMT
Hi all

thank you for the responses so far.

What I've seen as a repeating theme is

* the project has looked dead for a long time and in a way still does -
  this site hasn't been updated in ages

* it is unclear what is currently being worked on and where help is
  needed

* contributing to the parts that are being ported directly from Java is
  difficult - and at the same time doesn't look attractive as in the end
  the Java code base dictates what happens

The first two things we may be able to tackle, for the third part I
don't think there is anything we could do. Unless we wanted to drop the
idea of a straight port completely, which I doubt (note I have never
contributed any code myself, I'm completely clueless).

Then it looks as if we know there are things outside of the core port
that are in need of people helping out and at the same time people don't
know where to help. Can we put together some kind of "help wanted" list
and publish that on the website?

Stefan