From Pantazis Deligiannis <pdeli...@me.com>
Subject Pooling in RAMFile
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2017 10:29:51 GMT
Hello,
I am quite new user of Lucene, and I was going through the source code trying to understand
some parts of the implementation.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use pooling inside RAMFile for the byte arrays
that get allocated via the NewBuffer method (especially since the BUFFER_SIZE seems to be
fixed as 1024 in RAMOutputStream), and if not what is the exact reason? Is it because of thread
safety, since lots of (publicly-facing) APIs are accessing RAMFile (and potentially allocating
new buffers) and these could be called by arbitrary threads, which would require synchronization
which would be really expensive?

By the way, I understand that the NewBuffer is virtual, so a subclass who is overriding this
can allocate buffers from a custom solution (i.e. pooling), but I am mostly wondering what
is the reasoning for the base implementation provided by Lucene.

Many thanks,
Pantazis