From Peter Filipov <Peter.Fili...@progress.com>
Subject RE: 4.8.0 official version
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2017 18:09:54 GMT
Hello Shad,

Thank you for the detailed email, I appreciate it. Unfortunately we cannot help you at the
moment because we planned a lot of work for the upcoming months. But I will ask our community(1000+
members) if there is someone who has time and domain knowledge to help you. Regarding to the
replicator suggestion we will look at it and see how we can adopt it. Once again, thank you
for the information.

Peter

From: Shad Storhaug [mailto:shad@shadstorhaug.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 4:08 PM
To: Peter Filipov <Peter.Filipov@progress.com>
Cc: dev@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: RE: 4.8.0 official version

Peter,

Thanks for your interest in Lucene.Net.

We are currently working on another beta release, after which I will be cutting back the amount
of time I can dedicate to Lucene.Net. We are very close to finishing, and have not had many
reports of bugs, but there are a couple of things we need before we can call the release official:

  1.  API Documentation
  2.  International Components for Unicode (ICU) functionality completed and bugs fixed

There are a few other things that could also use some work, none of which are blocking the
release. However, we could use some assistance with getting over the finish line. We will
make an official request for help on the user email list after the beta release, but I am
afraid without additional contributions we can't be more specific about a release date.

Realistically, if we get a couple of people to help who are familiar with C/C# interop to
help move the icu.net project along (https://github.com/sillsdev/icu-dotnet) and fix the ICU
related functionality in Lucene.Net, we could see an official release before the end of the
year. Without those contributors it could take considerably longer.

  *   When the servers are sharing one file and try to reindex it, the file is locked and
there is an error (this happens in 2.9.2). I am wondering if this issue is resolved in 3.0.3
or 4.8.0.

I am not sure if that is a bug or by design. But, I am pretty sure that you aren't supposed
to share the same set of files between multiple servers.

In fact, there is a new project, Lucene.Net.Replicator, which is meant for synchronizing snapshots
of the files to different servers on a server farm. See this comment (https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/pull/209#issuecomment-320473287)
and the documentation (https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/master/src/Lucene.Net.Replicator/Http/replicator.md)
for more details of how it works.

You can preview Lucene.Net.Replicator on the latest CI build (https://www.myget.org/gallery/lucene-net-ci).