From George Kinsman <geo...@georgekinsman.com>
Subject Re: Mailing List Documentation
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2017 02:47:33 GMT
SimpleInjector's site looks really good, although as you say it's important to have some code
samples on the homepage too. Some examples of project homepages that I think do a really good
job at this include Serilog<https://serilog.net/>, Autofac<https://autofac.org/>
and Nancy<http://nancyfx.org/>. Each of them have clean designs, code samples, and installation
directions - and each of them are great examples of very active .NET open source projects
too. I think we could implement a nice modern design with these things front and centre, which
would give the project a great web presence.

Where

Each of those projects are hosted using Github Pages<https://pages.github.com/>, which
is a static content host. They use static generator tools like Jekyll to convert markdown
from a git repository into a plain html website. If we used something a little more modern
like Wyam<https://wyam.io/> with a custom theme, then we could just host it in a github
repo. Another thing about those previously mentioned projects is that they each<https://github.com/autofac>
have<https://github.com/serilog/serilog> their own<https://github.com/NancyFx>
GitHub org, with many separate repositories for tooling/examples/public site etc. I'm not
sure how strict the rules are on exactly *what* code needs to be hosted at Apache, but perhaps
it might be wise to create a github org for Lucene.Net for non-core repositories. We could
then store the static site there, and deploy it to apache.org as per the rules.

How

If we used something like Wyam, content updates would become a matter of changing/adding a
new markdown document to the site repository, which could then be built and deployed using
AppVeyor<https://www.appveyor.com/> to apache.org. That would give us a very low barrier
to entry for contributions (a GitHub PR), and allow you guys to interact with the community
really easily. The process from an approved PR to the site being updated would be entirely
automatic. The DocFX work could be hosted in a separate repo too, which could be hosted/deployed
alongside the main site.

I completely sympathise with you that the project needs to appear to be a bit more active
- I think this would be a great step to take to let the wider .NET community know about the
enormous amount of effort you're putting into this new port, and to pull in new contributors.
I'd love to help get there however I can.

Let me know your thoughts on what I've outlined above - I'm going to begin working on some
ideas for design, which I'll update you with as I go. I'd be happy to set all of the above
up, I think it comes down to where you'd be willing to host the static site repository, and
whether you want to go down the GitHub org path - assuming you're happy with the direction.

Cheers,

George