From George Kinsman <geo...@georgekinsman.com>
Subject Re: New Website
Date Sun, 16 Jul 2017 13:40:35 GMT
Hi there,

I spent some time over the last week on a draft version of a new website. I've uploaded a
repository to github (https://github.com/gkinsman/LuceneNetDraftSite) with the site and build
scripts. You can run `build.ps1` to do a one time build, and `build.ps1 -watch` to start an
http server and watch script.

A sample screenshot of it is here: http://i.imgur.com/YR7wSpj.jpg. Obviously I've made some
assumptions in the sample code, and it's a very rough draft - but it's a start, and should
be quite easy to add to. I haven't touched the logo - I don't have the skills to better the
current design.

Let me know your thoughts.

George

________________________________
From: Shad Storhaug <shad@shadstorhaug.com>
Sent: 08 July 2017 17:37
To: dev@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: RE: New Website

A concern is the amount of maintenance involved with so many tools. We already have a lot
of them, so it would probably be best to reuse the tools we have if possible to keep the learning
curve and maintenance of the infrastructure down.

> . I'm not sure how strict the rules are on exactly *what* code needs to be hosted at
Apache, but perhaps it might be wise to create a github org for Lucene.Net for non-core repositories.
We could then store the static site there, and deploy it to apache.org as per the rules.

The lucenenet project is already part of the Apache GitHub org. I don't think it is possible
to be part of more than one organization.

I have worked with GitHub pages before and they recommended to set it up as a different branch
in the same repo. I thought it was a PITA at the time because I had to do a git clean every
time I switched between branches, but now that I think about the workflow a bit more there
could just be separate working directories for the lucenenet project and the web site each
pointing to a different branch. So, reusing the current repo (on a separate branch) is a possibility.
We could also receive PRs for the doc updates, provided we provide the instructions where
to find them in the repo. And using a different branch means we can easily have 2 different
CI triggers so they can be independent.

> If we used something like Wyam, content updates would become a matter of changing/adding
a new markdown document to the site repository, which could then be built and deployed using
AppVeyor<https://www.appveyor.com/> to apache.org.
AppVeyor - Continuous Integration and Deployment service ...<https://www.appveyor.com/>
www.appveyor.com
#1 Continuous Delivery service for Windows Your new build server in a cloud. Start in minutes.
Enjoy faster results.

No issue with using Wyam. However, we already are using TeamCity for CI and should probably
just create a separate build for the web site on TeamCity (https://teamcity.jetbrains.com/project.html?projectId=LuceneNet_PortableBuilds),
so we don't have yet another tool to learn/provide permissions for. We are also using Powershell
for the build script, so it would be best to use Powershell in this case as well as a wrapper
around whatever tooling needs to run (if necessary).

> Let me know your thoughts on what I've outlined above - I'm going to begin working on
some ideas for design, which I'll update you with as I go. I'd be happy to set all of the
above up, I think it comes down to where you'd be willing to host the static site repository,
and whether you want to go down the GitHub org path - assuming you're happy with the direction.

It sounds like you have the right idea. Actually, I like Autofac's design even more than SimpleInjector.

Although, it would be nice if some of the rest of the team let us know their thoughts as well.
Prescott, Stefan, Itamar, Wyatt?

Does anyone know who has or how to get access to update the existing web site, or if it is
possible to change the DNS record for lucenenet.apache.org to a new location? The API docs
are hosted on the same subdomain so this applies to that project as well.

Recent News/Updates

Frankly, this is another thing that we really should cut out of the design unless someone
is willing to commit to keeping it updated. If we have a design that doesn't have any dates
or versions on it, it will always be current and we don't run the risk of it looking dead
even if nobody touches it for a couple of years. I don't see any dates or version numbers
on Autofac or SimpleInjector's websites. Do we really need to announce to the world that the
project teeters on the edge of extinction because not enough people contribute? It doesn't
sound like the right formula to building a successful community.

Vote

It looks like the last release had a couple of design proposals and the team voted on the
one they preferred (http://apache.markmail.org/message/aafm74wp556dlohm?q=lucenenet+website).
Sounds like a great way to have community involvement...but if there is only time for one
design proposal I will vote on it :).