From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: Mailing List Documentation
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2017 13:32:39 GMT
George,

I started a new issue on JIRA to track the progress of this: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-589.

The only thing that is clear about the project at this point is that we don't really have
a clear idea what is required, so the first step is to start picking brains about what we
are actually building. I would say we could probably have that conversation here on the dev
mailing list and use the information gathered here to list and prioritize requirements on
JIRA, and then work exclusively on JIRA from there. Some of those things to nail down are
where to build it (in the lucenenet repo or somewhere else) where to host it, and how to deploy
it.

One concern is the ability to easily update it with recent news. I don't know offhand whether
it makes more sense to integrate/build some kind of simple CMS or if that means we need to
build a TeamCity task to deploy it frequently with updates, or some other method.

Personally, my primary concern is to keep the project going. It is not acceptable to have
a web site that looks like it belongs to a project that nobody is maintaining (when in fact
we are). We should aim to make it look like a community that people are not afraid to jump
in and help with. I am partial to SimpleInjector's design: https://simpleinjector.org/index.html
with a modern look and feel, responsive design, and links to all of the appropriate places
to get support for the product and how to get involved. A quick start guide for Lucene.Net
is also essential to learning the basics before diving into the API docs.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)