From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release
Date Fri, 05 May 2017 07:29:49 GMT
On 2017-05-05, Shad Storhaug wrote:

> It has been 72 hours since your reply, yet the packages are still at
> the URL below and not at
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/lucenenet/.

Ah, my fault. I just threw out a link and didn't explain the process,
I'm sorry.

tldr; you must actively call for a vote.

Cutting a release is a bit more complex at the ASF than in many other
places. It may look cumbersome but is so in order to legally protect
those who create the release. A release that has been approved by the
PMC is an act of the foundation, so anybody trying to drag you into
court because of the releases content, would end up facing the ASF, not
you.

For all the glory see http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html or
just read along for the short version.

That being said, we need to formally vote on the release and we need at
least three PMC members to cast a +1 vote and more PMC members casting a
+1 than -1s.

The 72 hours start once the release manager has sent out the VOTE email,
for an example see
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/952a831da7e32103ceade2a2f70d99f4e297861e0938fcfcf52955e1@1349569519@%3Cdev.lucenenet.apache.org%3E
for the last time we did that (about five years ago, oh my) and ends
with the release manager tallying the vote
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eda7e0173b247acd1dcac75dac11f13ca7d5bc3627bba80048a0574d@1349840288@%3Cdev.lucenenet.apache.org%3E

One of the more involved examples is
http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html#Voting_On_Release -
Commons also has a nice list of things to check for a releaae and an
extra page of all the things that need to be done once the vote has
passed.

So you need to call for a vote here and 72 hours later you can publish
the release (assuming we muster three +1s, which I'd expect). Given you
are now a PMC member yourself you should have all the karma required to
perform the next steps (or we can arrange to grant it to you).

Stefan

PS: the ASF doesn't care whether we call the release ALPHA, beta,
preview or yellow. If the intended audience is the general public and
not the folks subscribing to the dev list, it is a release that has to
follow the process.