From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: [Vote] Apache Lucene.Net 4.8.0-beta00003
Date Tue, 16 May 2017 19:05:30 GMT
> What is required to get all green on dotnetcore ?

There is an issue that only has been happening when the ThaiAnalyzer tests are called. An
AccessViolationException is thrown from the icu.net library, indicating that it is writing
to protected memory. Actually, I discovered when running tests for the last release that it
can also cause the test runner to crash when the Highlighter tests are run.

I tried recording all of the input to icu.net to a file under a failing test and replaying
it back 1500 times so I could submit something fairly isolated to icu.net as a bug report,
but without the interaction with Lucene.Net it doesn't fail. The two tests that fail are both
random tests with a huge amount of setup code, so isolating where the exact issue is a major
task.

That said, I was surprised how big of an impact the bug fixes had on the tests. They may be
able to run now if the line to manually fail is removed.

Unfortunately, the Lucene.Net.Tests.ICU tests (which include these 2) don't currently run
in Visual Studio, so verification needs to be done on the command line. I wanted to keep the
test files in their original location so they line up with Lucene better, but some weird issue
is causing the tests not to be discovered from files that are referenced outside of the current
project location when using the project.json format. I have confirmed that upgrading to the
new .csproj format will fix this, and NUnit has (less than 2 weeks ago) released a new alpha
version of NUnit 3 Test Adapter that works with this new format. There is only one more hurdle
to get over to make the switch - come up with a way to switch between .NET Framework and .NET
Core, because it is not currently supported in the UI: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43554028/how-do-you-run-unit-tests-for-a-specific-target-framework-in-visual-studio-2017.
The only intuitive way I know of to do it without having duplicate `.csproj` files for every
project is to use the solution-level multi targeting to add separate targets for each framework,
but NUnit is very picky about how the file is setup so I am not sure yet whether that will
work. It's going to take some trial and error.