From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: [Vote] Apache Lucene.Net 4.8.0-beta00001
Date Wed, 10 May 2017 15:28:06 GMT
Ahh, yes. Actually, it was more out of necessity than by choice - I was planning to have only
the patch for #204 in the release. However, the .NET Core test run was failing on TeamCity
(again), and in one case it even failed with the same error you got. It seems that not all
of the TeamCity agents have the same tools installed, so getting this to run reliably has
been challenging. I fix it, it runs successfully a few times, then it breaks a few days later.

In another case it was failing with a later version of Microsoft.NETCore.App being installed
than the requested 1.0.1. I have been doing some work with the new .csproj format, and those
lines were removed by the dotnet migrate tool, so I removed them from project.json.

Anyway, I have added a couple of tasks to the build script so the Test target will load all
of its dependencies. I have also changed the build.bat to execute a single command instead
of 2 for the tests and I hope that solves the dependency issues in that case.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Svensson [mailto:sisve@devhost.se]
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 10:05 PM
To: dev@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Vote] Apache Lucene.Net 4.8.0-beta00001

Hi,

Those 45 minutes is a build and lots of tests executing (net451), and it fails for tests involving
netcoreapp1.0.

It looks like I am running with "dotnet --version" 1.0.3. Executing the
".\build\dotnet-install.ps1 -Version 1.0.0-preview2-1-003177" does successfully change "dotnet
--version" to 1.0.0-preview2-1-003177. I need to do this _before_ calling ".\build.bat -t"
and the tests _starts_.

I am now running into issues with references to Microsoft.NETCore.App 1.0.1, but I believe
those are already fixed in a later commit by you, and part of the beta2 release. I'll focus
on that release from now on.
Ref: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucenenet/commit/c2bf370f

See you in the beta 2 vote thread. ;)

// Simon

On 2017-05-09 19:02, Shad Storhaug wrote:
> Simon,
>
> You did the right thing by abstaining. I am still trying to pin down what is happening
here, as I am unable to reproduce it.

> You mentioned the build took 45 minutes for it to fail during testing. On a fast machine,
that probably means that the run of the .NET Core tests was successful, and the .NET Framework
tests failed since they run in that order. It is strange that it is unable to resolve the
paths halfway through the test run though (since we are using the nunit test runner for those
tests, I would expect the problem to be related to that), but the way the paths are being
resolved isn't exactly bullet-proof:

> pushd $base_directory
> $testProjects = Get-ChildItem -Path "project.json" -Recurse | ? {
> $_.Directory.Name.Contains(".Tests") } Popd
>
> If you are familiar with Powershell, could you work with the script to see (if and) why
the paths are not resolving? You can make the script run in a few seconds by temporarily commenting
everything inside of an Exec { } block.

> Thanks,
> Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

I read it, I cannot give a vote since I am unable to comply with the requirements.

> I'm clearly missing something on my local machine, but I do not yet know what. I installed
the 4.5.1 Dev Pack you linked, but still same failures. I havn't looked into it further due
to time/competence constraints on my part.

> It's the "..., compile as provided, and test the result on their own platform." that
alludes me:

>> "Before casting +1 binding votes, individuals are REQUIRED to
>> download
> all signed source code packages onto their own hardware, verify that they meet all requirements
of ASF policy on releases as described below, validate all cryptographic signatures, compile
as provided, and test the result on their own platform."

> Source:
> https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-approval
>
> // Simon
>
> On 2017-05-09 03:17, Shad Storhaug wrote:
>> It has now been 72 hours since this vote started. Here are the results:
>>
>> PMC votes:
>>
>> +1: (3)
>> 0: (0)
>> -1: (1)
>>
>> Non-PMC votes:
>> +1: (7) (2 of them committers)
>> 0: (0)
>> -1: (0)
>>
>> We also heard from Simon Svensson about an issue running tests on the CLI, but he
did not vote. Technically, he was running the tests from the repository, not from the release
package. I did some investigation and on a clean system without .NET or Visual Studio installed
it fails to compile in that configuration. It looks like some of the references are using
reference assemblies, when I believe they should be using NuGet packages that download on
demand. So, for the time being having the .NET Framework 4.5.1 Developer Pack installed is
a prerequisite for building (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40772).

>> I have also confirmed that attempting to build/test with Powershell 2.0 does not
work. I am testing with 3.0 now (so far it is working), but suffice to say the newer the Powershell
version the better.

.\build\build.ps1 -Task Default,Test -Properties @{prepareForBuild='false';backup_files='false'}"

>> We should add a switch to build.bat to make that command simpler (i.e. build -t),
but that is how you can run the tests this time around.

>> -
>>
>> So technically the vote passes. However, I will give it some more time in case anyone
else wants to weigh in on whether the issues we have are significant enough to reset the release.
Presscott, Stefan, Simon, WDYT?

>> Thanks,
>> Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

reports and pull requests into a flood. We know there are bugs (there are still at least a
dozen flakey tests, some of them concurrency related). But it would take forever to fix them
if we had to patch them one at a time, cancel the release, fix the next one, cancel the next
release, and so on.

>> As for users being discouraged, I can't imagine the situation being worse than the
51 users a day downloading these packages:

>> https://www.nuget.org/packages/Lucene.Net.Core/
>> https://www.nuget.org/packages/Lucene.Net.Analysis.Common/
>>
>> Not only do the unsuspecting downloaders not realize that they are unofficial packages,
but they are versioned as full releases, despite being unstable. Anyone who adapts that API
is going to be disappointed with the amount of rework they need to do to use the official
one. Waiting another 72 hours means another 153 potentially discouraged users who think they
are using production-ready code, whereas releasing the beta immediately means those who knowingly
decide to push pre-release code into production may or may not be discouraged by this bug.
In all likelihood, the patch will be out before they are ready to release anyway.

>> IMO, we should push this release forward so we can start collecting information on
what is broken, recruit some help to fix the bugs, and fully expect to have another release
in short order (with more than just this one patch in it). That's my 2 cents.

>> Thanks,
>> Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/pull/205. This one is important, every real-world use
case would hit this issue one way or another (and I'm expecting our users to run multi-threaded),
and I wouldn't want to discourage them from trying future versions by running into this bug,
which I consider rather severe. Let's make this beta count, and waiting another 72 hours wouldn't
change much.

>> I will be happy to support the efforts of preparing a fixed version and pushing it
towards another vote and release.

>> --
>>
>> Itamar Syn-Hershko
>> Freelance Developer & Consultant
>> Elasticsearch Partner
>> Microsoft MVP | Lucene.NET PMC
>> http://code972.com | @synhershko <https://twitter.com/synhershko>
>> http://BigDataBoutique.co.il/
>>
>> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 6:38 PM, Prescott Nasser
>> <geobmx540@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Lazaro, you can send an email to
>>> dev-unsubscribe@lucenenet.apache.org
>>> from your subscribed email to unsubscribe.