From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: [Vote] Apache Lucene.Net 4.8.0-beta00001
Date Tue, 09 May 2017 09:19:55 GMT
Stefan,

> If you run into it, will it make your application crash or will it destroy the index?

It causes a crash under highly concurrent scenarios, and will most likely affect all of the
file-system directories. It does not affect the index, otherwise some of the index tests would
have detected it. Peter van Ginkel (the user who discovered it) has been kind enough to contribute
a test that fails most of the time if the concurrency bug exists, but before this none of
our tests have been able to detect it. Peter also has been able to work around this bug, and
I have asked him to post the workaround at: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/pull/205

It is a severe bug. Is it our most severe bug? Maybe. Is it severe enough to destroy our reputation?
Being that there is a bootleg copy out there that is already doing just that (that is versioned
as production-ready and already has this bug), I would say we are better off releasing with
the bug than not. If we didn't have that issue to contend with, I would agree with Itamar
that we should re-roll the release.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)