From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: [Vote] Apache Lucene.Net 4.8.0-beta00001
Date Tue, 09 May 2017 01:17:50 GMT
It has now been 72 hours since this vote started. Here are the results:

PMC votes:

+1: (3)
0: (0)
-1: (1)

Non-PMC votes:
+1: (7) (2 of them committers)
0: (0)
-1: (0)

We also heard from Simon Svensson about an issue running tests on the CLI, but he did not
vote. Technically, he was running the tests from the repository, not from the release package.
I did some investigation and on a clean system without .NET or Visual Studio installed it
fails to compile in that configuration. It looks like some of the references are using reference
assemblies, when I believe they should be using NuGet packages that download on demand. So,
for the time being having the .NET Framework 4.5.1 Developer Pack installed is a prerequisite
for building (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40772).

I have also confirmed that attempting to build/test with Powershell 2.0 does not work. I am
testing with 3.0 now (so far it is working), but suffice to say the newer the Powershell version
the better.

As for testing, this can be done either with Visual Studio 2015: http://apache.markmail.org/search/?q=from%3A%22Shad+Storhaug%22#query:from%3A%22Shad%20Storhaug%22+page:1+mid:yhrjkuo7kcxougpz+state:results

Or, from the command line using this command:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "Import-Module .\build\psake.psm1; Invoke-Psake
.\build\build.ps1 -Task Default,Test -Properties @{prepareForBuild='false';backup_files='false'}"

We should add a switch to build.bat to make that command simpler (i.e. build -t), but that
is how you can run the tests this time around.

So technically the vote passes. However, I will give it some more time in case anyone else
wants to weigh in on whether the issues we have are significant enough to reset the release.
Presscott, Stefan, Simon, WDYT?

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)