From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: Release
Date Mon, 01 May 2017 16:43:12 GMT
Stefan,

Shall we give the release process another try?

http://www.shadstorhaug.com/lucenenet-4.8.0-beta00001.zip

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:12 PM
To: dev@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: Re: Release

On 2017-04-26, Shad Storhaug wrote:

> Those files did come from the OpenJDK (which I figured was "open" - I
> guess not).

"open" and "free" have so different meanings to different people :-)

The GPL contains requirements on top of what is required by the Apache Software License (and
the opposite is also true, at least for GPLv2). An ASF release is supposed to mean "there
won't be any obligations beyond what the Apache Software License asks for". That's why the
license compatibility list exists.

> The ByteBuffer from Harmony at first glance looks identical to the JDK
> except for the license,

It's not unlikely OpenJDK used the one from Harmony, but I don't want to speculate. In either
case, Harmony should be a safe origin for us.

A big thank you for looking into this.

> The main problem was - no tests.

I'm not really familiar with the Harmony code base but you may be able to find tests in there
as well.

>> The signatures and md5 hashes work for me, but I'm not sure which sha
>> hash you are using. Based on its length it could be SHA512 but then
>> the hashes don't match for me (using sha512sum on Linux).

> Hmm - I used SHA512. Here are the commands I used.

My fault, I must have been checksumming the wrong file, all is good.

Many thanks

     Stefan