From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: API Work/Stabilization Update
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2017 14:04:59 GMT
Wyatt,

> We will probably want to build out .nuspec files to get all the nuget stuff right for
these projects -- I don't think the generation will work for us to get things quite right.

Connie has set us up to use .json files instead of .nuspec files to generate the NuGet packages
(the new way instead of the old way). The build script Build.ps1 does it all (it even has
help documentation), but it is missing an option to override versioning. Ideally we would
be able to override the version that is in the .json file with an environment variable (which
you can pass from TeamCity), and be able to override that on the CLI for local "one-off" builds.
 See the build instructions on #191: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/pull/191

> Regarding the nuget key -- that plan works for me, the trick is I don't have the key
to add to myget.

I don't know what order the infrastructure was setup in on your end, but my thought was that
if someone had previously pushed from MyGet to NuGet the key is probably already configured
there. But yea, you would need access to MyGet to confirm.

> I would love to start beating on that a bit but the .net core version seems to want NUnit
3.5+ which needs to be added to the project to run.

I will take a look at your pull request, but I think this is a symptom of trying to run using
the older tooling. The Build.ps1 script already has the ability to test, and all of the tooling
is there to do it (I think - maybe I should do a fresh clone to be sure). It does have some
prerequisites, though (see #191). It builds both the .NET Framework and .NET Core versions
and packages them into NuGet.

Per #191: Hopefully Lucene.Net.sln can be removed in the future because the .NET Core projects
compile for .NET 4.5.1 already.

So I think the aim is to eventually eliminate those .csproj files (and for that matter .nuspec
files) and use strictly .json files for project configuration going forward.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)