From Wyatt Barnett <wyatt.barn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Remaining Work/Priorities
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2016 03:23:09 GMT
Thanks for pulling all of that together Shad. I can chime in a bit about
the build stuff:

1. Are there any remaining issues around the build/deployment we still need
to resolve (versioning, integration with TeamCity, etc)?

Build has been fun with this one -- I haven't reported in much because I
haven't had much success to report. We are now successfully moved to
https://teamcity.jetbrains.com/project.html?projectId=LuceneNet
<https://teamcity.jetbrains.com/project.html?projectId=LuceneNet&tab=projectOverview>.
The new platform is much more reliable in some ways but it appears to me
that the build machines appear to be at least intermittently much slower
than the old ones.

For example -- I've got the portable build running at
https://teamcity.jetbrains.com/viewType.html?buildTypeId=LuceneNet_Vs2015LuceneNetPortable
once
I wrapped my head around build.ps1 and teamcity but I can't get the tests
to run -- they timeout after 4 hours which is a lot slower than they run on
this i5. My suspicion is it is because the slow disk i/o on some cloud
agents but I don't have a lot of visibility into it.

Speed issues aside we've got a bit of knitting to do to get this ready to
release. We need tweak the builds to do things like drop xml comments as
well as perhaps dropping multiple artifacts for different .NET versions. We
will need to create .nuspec files presuming this package becomes
non-trivial.

Regarding .NET Core -- my presumption is that is the way we are going to
go. Should we try and rejigger the build process to work with build.ps1
from that project?

2. Are we able to utilize our current versioning scheme
(MAJOR.MINOR.BUILD.REVISION-PRE)? I have verified that NuGet behaves
correctly with this scheme, and IMO it makes sense to use this scheme on a
port such as this one so we have a way to patch without incrementing beyond
the semantic version of Lucene we are emulating. It looks like this
versioning issue has been a roadblock for fixing bugs in previous
Lucene.Net ports.

I cooked this up so I'm OK with it :). FWIW my thinking was exactly what
you are talking about -- we can "pin" to lucene version numbers while
keeping some uniqueness that works with nuget rather seamlessly.

One angle we will need to think through is how we want to handle branching
strategy here. The trick I'm using to run all the pull requests does not
work as well when we have multiple concurrent versions which we'd probably
want to have running as we do bug fixes in many cases.

I've got a little time over the holidays to try and iron out some of these
issues. Let me know how I can be of more assistance.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 2:21 PM Roethinger, Alexander <