From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: Compilation issues and gotchas
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2016 10:59:44 GMT
Itamar,

I think we should seriously take this into consideration: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2015/12/09/support-ending-for-the-net-framework-4-4-5-and-4-5-1/.

If Microsoft isn't supporting 4.0, 4.5, or 4.5.1 we probably shouldn't either (although it
wouldn't be a bad thing to target 4.5 or 4.5.1 since everything above it is an in-place upgrade).
The only thing up in the air is 3.5 SP1 support, since that will still go on until 2020. I
don't believe it would be trivial to support 3.5 SP1 - while we already have ported some of
the missing pieces such as SortedSet for compatibility, there are other places (such as differences
in LINQ support and covariant interfaces) that will be challenging to put in place. I think
we really need to assess whether it will be worth the extra effort (but I guess we first need
to determine exactly how much effort that really is). Is there really a need to get people
who refuse to upgrade from antiquated versions of .NET to also upgrade to the latest version
of Lucene? I mean, supporting .NET 3.5 SP1 is probably not that trivial. But for those still
on 3.5 SP1, upgrading to 4.5.2 is to take advantage of Lucene.Net 4.8.0 generally by comparison
a trivial task. And if that is not an option, they still have Lucene.Net 3.0.3.

As for the indexing issue, not sure what the problem is. Although, I can tell you that the
majority of the remaining test failures are centered around indexing. It seems Connie is working
on fixing many of the remaining tests on the .NET core branch, so we should probably revisit
this after we get all of the tests to pass to see if it is still an issue. I am sure we will
see the number of failures increase again when we add the remaining pieces to the test framework
to randomize codec, culture, and time zone, but once those issues are fixed we should have
most of the bugs out, and can begin working on any cross-platform issues that remain.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)