From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: nuget.org and 4.8
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:37:30 GMT
My vote is yes.

1. If we had a pre-release presence on NuGet, more people might be interested in helping out
(or at least providing feedback).
2. I have an open source project that depends on Lucene.Net, and it would be easier to deal
with for me (and I am sure other projects that depend on Lucene.Net) if the pre-release were
available on NuGet instead of having to instruct everyone how to setup their IDE/CI build
to access MyGet.

VERSIONING

I am not sure if we have the versioning setup the right way: http://www.xavierdecoster.com/semantic-versioning-auto-incremented-nuget-package-versions

I don't think there is a way to make a pre-release (that acts like a pre-release) when we
have a 4 segment version number. Has this versioning scheme been fully tested when transitioning
from pre-release to release? And also does it work when upgrading from Lucene.Net 3.0.3 to
the 4 segment pre-release? I suppose using 4 segments will work if we increment the revision
number when making this transition, but it would be difficult to correlate a pre-release to
a specific release (at least for a .NET release - but if the intent was only to correlate
it with Java Lucene versions while allowing for bug fixes I think we have done it).

PACKAGES

It looks as though several of the more recently ported packages (such as Lucene.Net.Join,
Lucene.Net.Suggest, Lucene.Net.Misc, Lucene.Net.Memory, Lucene.Net.QueryParser) are not currently
part of the build: https://www.myget.org/gallery/lucene-net

Also, the packages that exist seem to be missing the metadata (such as descriptions).

Is there some reason why we don't have a build script checked into the repository to manage
these details?

RELEASES

It also might pay off to wait until I push my local branch. I have fixed the majority of the
remaining bugs in Lucene.Net.Core already, so it would be best to post the latest and greatest
on NuGet rather than yesterday's build. I was doing a bit more debugging, but let me change
gears for the moment and work on getting this to a stable point to push to master.

We certainly wouldn't want every CI build up on NuGet, though. We need to be able to manually
push at certain stable points.  What is the plan?

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)