From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: [NuGet Gallery] Message for owners of the package 'Lucene.Net'
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2016 21:12:26 GMT
Hello Alexander,

Thank you for your interest in Lucene.Net. As Prescott mentioned, we are currently working
toward an updated, more stable, and more fully featured 4.8.0 release. You can see a breakdown
of what is left to do here: http://apache.markmail.org/search/?q=lucenenet+list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.lucene-net-dev+priorities#query:lucenenet%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.lucene-net-dev%20priorities+page:1+mid:64xvjbi75oypbfxb+state:results

Lucene.Net 4.8.0 is at least 10x as much code as Lucene.Net 3.0.3. There are a lot of great
new features, but it is also a lot more of an effort to finish it.

I have personally been working full-time on Lucene.Net for the past 3 months, and on my local
branch (which I hope to push in the next day or so) I have all of the Lucene.Net.Core tests
fully ported and have it down to 21 failing (out of nearly 3000), and only 5 other failing
tests in the entire solution (out of over 5000).  We have about 75-80% of the entire project
ported and all but a few (Spatial, Highlighter, QueryParser.Flexible, Grouping, Analysis.Collation)
of the highest priority sections are complete, that is, we have about 90% the sections ported
that we need for an official release.

Although those on the team have made some significant headway toward release, it would be
a lot easier if there were more hands on more keyboards working to complete it. I am not talking
about more people working full-time (although that would be nice), but just an hour here or
perhaps a weekend there from a few people to get us through the goal posts. While it would
be great if someone could help with the port of the remaining sections, it would also be a
huge help if there were someone just comparing code files to Lucene 4.8.0 and pointing out
anything that looks "off" (that isn't already commented with a LUCENENET TODO). Or if there
were someone willing to step up and help make the license headers consistent or to update
and fix up the documentation comments, it all gets us closer to release.

We also have other goals - to name some, switching the testing framework from NUnit to xUnit,
getting the whole project to be compatible with .NET Core, cleaning up and .NETifying the
public API, finishing up all of those LUCENENET TODOs I mentioned - that would move a lot
faster if we had more help.

the contributing section: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md,
and coordinate with a PMC member on the dev mailing list to state what you want to work on
to avoid work duplication with other team members.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)