From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: Remaining Work/Priorities
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:23:43 GMT
> Analysis.ICU (Depends on ICU4j) hopefully we can remove the ICU DLLs from the analysis.commons
module?

Just for clarification, these are two entirely different things in Java. Analysis.Common (Analysis.Collator
and Analysis.Th) depends on parts of Java:

import java.text.BreakIterator;
import java.text.Collator;
import java.text.ParseException;
import java.text.RuleBasedCollator;

Highlighter.PostingsHighlighter and Highlighter.VectorHighlight also depend on parts of Java:

import java.text.BreakIterator;
import java.text.CharacterIterator;

Analysis.ICU depends on a separate (icu4j) package:

import com.ibm.icu.text.Normalizer;
import com.ibm.icu.text.Normalizer2;
import com.ibm.icu.text.Transliterator;
import com.ibm.icu.text.Replaceable;
import com.ibm.icu.text.Transliterator;
import com.ibm.icu.text.UTF16;
import com.ibm.icu.text.UnicodeSet;
import com.ibm.icu.text.FilteredNormalizer2;
import com.ibm.icu.text.Collator;
import com.ibm.icu.text.RuleBasedCollator;
import com.ibm.icu.util.ULocale;
import com.ibm.icu.text.RawCollationKey;

That said, icu4j DOES have Collator and RuleBasedCollator classes, but it DOES NOT have a
BreakIterator or CharacterIterator class. It is unclear whether the Collator from icu4j would
work as a replacement for the one in core Java.

When I was digging through the JDK code, I noticed that BreakIterator and RuleBasedCollator
have a lot of common ICU dependencies there, so even if the RuleBasedCollator from icu4j is
compatible, it might make sense for us to port the one from Java anyway so we are dealing
with the same shared dependencies in Analysis.Common.

Once we port over the classes from the Java JDK, we will be able to eliminate our current
ICU4NET dependency (and the platform issues that come with it). That said, porting over those
pieces could take considerable work. In the interim it might make sense to make separate projects/NuGet
packages to isolate the areas that depend on BreakIterator, CharacterIterator, and RuleBasedCollator
so the rest can be released for wide/cross-platform use. Perhaps we can even make a basic
(scaled down) BreakIterator for Highlighter that breaks on spaces between words and punctuation
between sentences, which wouldn't work for Thai, but would work for most other languages.

Porting the (icu4j) package is another complete ball of yarn, we should take a look at (https://github.com/sillsdev/icu-dotnet)
to see if there is enough overlap there to power Analysis.ICU (offhand it looks as though
some classes are missing, though). It is a wrapper around the C library - it may be that we
just need to port more of it to get all of the pieces we need.

Speaking of Collation, @ChristopherHaws have you made any more progress on Analysis.Collation?
Were you able to determine if icu-dotnet's collator will make the tests pass?

> I'm on it QueryParser.Flexible

Great. The TimeZone probably just needs more research to work out how to utilize (in order
to implement the failing test). Also, FYI MSDN's recommendation (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.timezone(v=vs.110).aspx)
is to use TimeZoneInfo rather than TimeZone (I noticed that several of the tests were recently
modified to use TimeZone rather than TimeZoneInfo).

As for the culture, in .NET I am pretty sure that we need to pass it as a parameter to another
overload of `QueryParser.Parse` rather than making it a property of QueryParser. But we can
deal with that in one step after you have finished porting.

--

Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)