From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.NET to .NET Core
Date Fri, 20 May 2016 13:46:10 GMT
Hey there,

Thank you so much again for your great work here. Lots of good
contributions we could definitely use.

Moving to xUnit.Net was actually on my list of things to do - basically
also because it's API is much better and more flexible (and less buggy!)
and my experience with it was much better than with NUnit (which we use an
outdated version of). Some people claim xUnit is also faster, so hey - why
not.

Are you sure you can "easily move all tests to xUnit"? From what I can tell
this will be a rather rigorous copy-paste job? While the JavaCompatibility
bits we have (
https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/tree/master/src/Lucene.Net.TestFramework/JavaCompatibility)
do contain centralized function like assertTrue() etc that save loads of
time and effort porting tests, so that could be changed easily to use
xUnit, there are many places where asserts etc where ported in full to the
NUnit API.

I am definitely pro this change, but let's make sure we don't go down into
a rabbit hole first. Let me know what you think.

With regards to the status update:

1. I made some last minor comments on the merge scheduler PR - we should be
able to merge it within a few days now. Great work there

2. What is keeping us from merging your ICU etc changes? please note some
subprojects are absolutely necessary for Lucene.NET to run on Core CLR as
well - even though they are "sub" projects and not part of the Lucene core
itself. Queries and Analysis are probably the biggest ones (latter not
fully ported yet, and it's the one with the ICU dep).

3. Other than what you posted - are there any other pending items to get
this running on .NET Core?

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant