From "Elizabeth Maher (NEWMAN)" <Elizabeth.Ma...@microsoft.com>
Subject Lucene.NET to .NET Core
Date Fri, 20 May 2016 00:17:55 GMT
Lucene.NET Community,

Connie and I continue to make progress on moving Lucene.NET to .NET Core.  The last challenge
we face is to get the tests to successfully run on .NET Core.  Currently the unit tests use
NUnit.  There is a .NET Core version called NUnitLite.  However, the issue is there is some
manual steps to get NUnitLite tests to work on .NET Core.  We would have to create console
applications for each of the test library, call the appropriate APIs to create a test results
file and then work with the CI system to manually upload the results.  Also, there is not
Test Runner integration for NUnitLite.  While, this is all possible to do, I would like to
propose a different change.  I could easily move all the test to use xUnit.  The would benefit
Lucene.NET in the long run as there are both full fx<https://xunit.github.io/docs/getting-started-desktop.html>
and core fx<https://xunit.github.io/docs/getting-started-dotnet-core.html> versions
of xUnit, there is a TeamCity plugin that automatically works<https://xunit.github.io/docs/getting-test-results-in-teamcity.html>,
as well as the ability to run tests in Visual Studio.<https://xunit.github.io/docs/getting-started-dotnet-core.html#run-tests-vs.>
 I believe the long-term maintenance cost for both full and core fx tests would be lower using
xUnit.  Is this an acceptable direction for me to take the unit tests?  Please let me know.

Below is the progress of our migration work, for the curious.

1.       Remove use of SharpZipLib dependency - completed

2.       Update ICU4NET dependency for .NET Core - completed in dev branch

a.        In https://github.com/conniey/lucenenet/tree/move2dnx.

3.       Remove Appache.NMS dependency - completed

4.       Move Scheduler to use Tasks - PR submitted

a.        Pull request at https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/pull/171.

5.       Make portable libraries to build .NET Core binaries - completed in dev branch

a.        In https://github.com/conniey/lucenenet/tree/move2dnx.

6.       Verify tests pass on both full framework and .Net Core. - In progress

a.        Need to get tests to run on .NET Core.

Thanks,
Elizabeth