From Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com>
Subject JUniversal for Automated Java -> C# translation?
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2015 05:58:00 GMT
A while back, we had an idea to build a semi-automated Java->C# translation
tool to assist with the porting process. The idea was that an automated
process would probably never fully be able to translate something as
intricate as Lucene, and even if it could, it probably wouldn't be very
idiomatic... but it could be used to do some of the heavy lifting, making
it easier to keep up with Java Lucene.

At the time there weren't very good tools for this, and the idea sort of
fizzled. We have a lot of find/replace macros that we all use for this
work, but not a proper tool.

I just heard about JUniversal, which attempts to do exactly this:
http://juniversal.org/

It's meant for Android developers who want to target Windows Mobile phones,
and keep a single codebase... but I think it might work for our use case as
well.

Anyone want to explore this tool and see what it can do for us?

Thanks,
Troy