From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Re: Setting up the CI pipeline
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2014 21:37:32 GMT
5 mins max for one test maybe?

To fix that infinite loop we need to revisit the original Java code, most
likely its porting of an iterator-style code that went wrong. I hope to
have time to look at it next week, please anyone else who feels like it
beat me to it..

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Wyatt Barnett <wyatt.barnett@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So, after the 2nd day of watching the tests just spin I decided that a
> little visibility might make sense as something just was not adding up -- I
> expected some failing tests, and some long-running tests but there just
> ain't enough data here to keep something running for 8+ hours.
>
> Anyhow, I stood up VS and the debugger and started looking into things and
> I found that I was hitting at least one infiinte loop dealing with
> randomized values -- specifically at
>
> https://github.com/apache/lucene.net/blob/master/src/Lucene.Net.TestFramework/Index/BasePostingsFormatTestCase.cs#L394
> ;
>
> Anyhow, I'm not sure how to proceed here as if we want test automation the
> tests need to run through in a reasonable amount of time but I don't know
> enough about the project to know what should run or not. One thought would
> be to use nunit timeout attributes (
> http://www.nunit.org/index.php?p=timeout&r=2.5) to constrain things. If so
> what is a reasonable timeout?
>
> I'm quite open to other, non kludgy thoughts too . . .
>
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Wyatt Barnett <wyatt.barnett@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I looked over GitVersion -- looks like a great fit for this project
> though
> > it will require a bit of forethought about branching strategies.
> >
> > I'll take a run at getting it integrated once I get through the test
> suite
> > running successfully.
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Itamar Syn-Hershko <itamar@code972.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Inline
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Itamar Syn-Hershko
> >> http://code972.com | @synhershko <https://twitter.com/synhershko>
> >> Freelance Developer & Consultant
> >> Author of RavenDB in Action <http://manning.com/synhershko/>

> >> I'm asking around, will let you know

> >> doable.
> >> the
> automate
> >> >

> >> Are you familiar with https://github.com/ParticularLabs/GitVersion ?
> I'll
> >> be interested in adopting this to our process.

> >> being
> >> test
> this
> >> is
> Please
> >> >

> >> Yes, we still have some failing tests. The hope is to also utilize
> >> TeamCity's reports to measure the affects of internal changes we make
> [...]
Queries,