From Prescott Nasser <geobmx...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Lucene.NET 4.8.0 status update
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2014 23:14:25 GMT
I will take up the call on codecs - two questions:

Should I make separate projects for each or one project for all? Move those to contrib?

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 06:34:02 +0300
Subject: Lucene.NET 4.8.0 status update
From: itamar@code972.com
To: dev@lucenenet.apache.org

Hi all.
I've been working on the 4.8 branch to try and stabilize it so it can be the base for our
next release. There's still plenty to do, but I was able to make decent progress.

This thread will be used for me to report progress and hopefully get some more people involved.
My branch is here: https://github.com/synhershko/lucene.net/tree/Lucene.Net_4.8.0

Out of about 2300 tests currently, there are about 600 failing tests and the rest are green.
At least 300 of the failing tests are due to missing codecs (some codecs haven't been ported
yet). The rest of the failures can be largely categorized as below.

1. The missing codecs need to be ported (into a separate assembly). There isn't too much of
code to port and work is pretty much self contained. However completing this will make about
300 tests green.
The code to port is here: https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/tree/lucene_solr_4_8_0/lucene/codecs/src/java/org/apache/lucene/codecs

2. Compressed fields implementation is largely broken. Quite a few test are red and I'm pretty
sure the fix is quite simple, just a faulty implementation to quickly re-write.

3. Many, many tests are very slow or even deadlocking because of threading issues. Culprits
are both IndexWriter and FSDirectory. This is the most severe and probably challenging issue
to solve.There are multiple failures which I believe relate to this issue. "Access to the
path is denied." on index files, failing Asserts etc.

4. The fsync implementation (in FSDirectory) needs some love and testing.
5. The rest of the failing tests are probably isolated porting issues (Java / C# differences
or bugs introduced while porting). I attached a screenshot of one such error, thrown using
Debug.Assert from the core while running some of the tests.

Other items to tackle later:
1. CLS compliance. Maybe the biggest item there is the byte/sbyte thing we discussed several
times before.
2. Porting the contribs.

3. Cleaning up the API and XML comments
4. Fixing the license header in all source files
5. CI pipeline and SlowTest attribute to have some tests run only on nightly builds or similar

Anyone up for some coding?--
Itamar Syn-Hershkohttp://code972.com | @synhershko

Freelance Developer & ConsultantAuthor of RavenDB in Action