From Christopher Currens <currens.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Removing strong naming from all future versions
Date Sat, 17 May 2014 19:59:38 GMT
I feel like it's worthwhile to mention that Strong Naming the assembly is
how an assembly gets it's identity.

Take for example the following assemblies:

-- Lucene.Net version 3.0.0.0
-- Lucene.Net version 3.0.3.0
-- Lucene.Net version 4.0.0.0

If I added a reference to Lucene.Net 4.0 to my application, ANY of those
assemblies would match, as far as the runtime is concerned if the
assemblies are unsigned. The strong name of an assembly is the
_combination_ of the simple text name, version, culture and public key, not
simply the public key. Without strong naming, you do NOT get real assembly
versioning.

See here for a reference:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/51ket42z(v=vs.110).aspx

>> The runtime distinguishes between regular and strong-named assemblies
for the purposes of versioning. Version checking only occurs with
strong-named assemblies.

I would prefer to leave the strong-named option in nuget, and allow users
to manually download an unsigned binary, if they choose to. However, the
vote is over and already decided, so it's probably a moot point.

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Itamar Syn-Hershko <itamar@code972.com>wrote:

> Vote concluded, we will remove strong naming this week.
>
> --
>
> Itamar Syn-Hershko
> Freelance Developer & Consultant
>

> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 10:20 PM, Itamar Syn-Hershko <itamar@code972.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Michael, this is a majority vote, and this is what I was implying, sorry
> > if it was understood differently. Also, vetoing isn't on by default on
> all
> > votes, like you can read in the link you provided.
> >
> > Either way, you haven't provided your vote.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Itamar Syn-Hershko
> >
> > Freelance Developer & Consultant
> > Author of RavenDB in Action <http://manning.com/synhershko/>
> >

> > On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 8:46 PM, michael herndon <
> > mherndon@michaelherndon.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Its probably worth reiterating that with this vote:
> >>
> >> Signed binaries are NOT going away.
> >>
> >>   - They are just reverting back to the previous manual download
> >> distribution method.
> >>   - Nothing prevents a developer from creating their own nuget feed with
> >> the signed binaries using something like nuget.server or myget.org.
> >>
> >> On a side note, statements like, "Michael and Simon's votes are still
> >> absent but that won't matter anyway.", should be avoided in the future.
> >>
> >> The above statement could be misconstrued as:
> >>
> >> a) Voting doesn't matter and thus a person's opinion or voice doesn't
> >> matter. Part of purpose of voting is to elicit feedback and
> >> build consensus with the community because the community matters. The
> >> other
> >> purpose is conflict resolution.
> >>
> >> b) That the named parties are the only missing committer votes. There
> are
> >> other members not listed that have not voted.
> >>
> >> b) That people are being singled out. Calling out people rather than
> just
> >> focusing on the issue is bad form. It can make things seem personal or
> >> meant for public shaming even when the intent was anything but that.
> >>
> >> c) Majority rules applies to this vote when it does not.  A single
> binding
> >> negative one vote effectively vetoes a code modification vote / proposal
> >> like this one.  https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> >>
> >> -M

> >> well

> >> anyway.