From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Removing signing of assemblies (starting in v4)
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:10:10 GMT
All Lucene.NET assemblies are signed, aka strongly named.

We are starting to run into problems with dependencies which not being
signed. What's becoming more common in the .NET world (OSS mainly) is to
stop signing assemblies because its
pretty<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20105103/are-signed-net-assemblies-ever-fully-verified-when-loaded-to-check-they-haven>
much<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1197133/anything-wrong-with-not-signing-a-net-assembly>
useless <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163583.aspx> (in the
last link: What Strong Names Can't Do).

Regardless of the argument about SN it seems to bring more fraction and
trouble than anything good, especially considering we are an open-source
library.

Case in question, I'm moving to updating the spatial module and want to
fetch dependencies from nuget. While spatial4n is signed (so it can be used
from Lucene.NET), NTS+GeoAPI are not and don't appear to get signed any
time soon. Since signed assemblies cannot reference non-strongly-named
assemblies, I can't currently do that - not through nuget at least. This
introduces a lot of frustration and tons of fraction which I'd like to have
removed.

Ideally I'd want to move to removing strong-naming from all Lucene.NET
assemblies (v4 and forward), and having a wiki page that describes why
signing is pointless and how to manually sign it if you insist.

I can see 2 disadvantages for not signing, both of which I doubt really
matter nowadays and given our usage scenarios:

1. Deploy Lucene.NET to the GAC without further steps (non-signed
assemblies can be SN or ILMerged as part of the install process)

2. Signed assemblies / project won't be able to get Lucene.NET from nuget
directly because they'll have to sign it before referencing it. Or lose SN
themselves.

Thoughts?

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko