From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject [VOTE] Removing strong naming from all future versions
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 02:52:24 GMT
This is a vote for removing strong naming from Lucene.NET effective
immediately, affecting all future versions including the planned v3 bugfix
release and obviously the v4 branch, arguments being:

1. This is a headache to manage, given dependencies may or may not be
signed and as long as we are signed we can't use them without signing them
first. At this point in time it's a blocker for us from releasing the v3
bugfix version.

2. Strong naming is pretty much pointless as it is anyway, especially since
we are OSS and our key is public anyway.

All main distribution channels (nuget, binary downloads) will not be
signed, but we will provide a download link with a signed version for
people who need a signed. This is to address needs coming from people who
already have signed their projects.

We will also publish a Wiki page describing this move in detail, with the
hopes people will remove signing from their projects instead of using the
signed version.

Let's make the world a better place.

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko