From Paul Irwin <pir...@feature23.com>
Subject Re: Vote for CLS Compliance
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2014 17:10:52 GMT
My vote is yes, since CLS compliance only applies to the public methods and
properties. We should still strongly consider using sbyte internally to
maintain logic compatibility with Java.

IMHO: If there are public members that would require a Buffer.BlockCopy
byte[]-to-sbyte[] conversion, we should consider warning the user that the
performance may be impacted, and maintain an overload/alternative sbyte[]
method that is usable by C# callers without the performance impact, by
marking those methods as [CLSCompliant(false)] while retaining the
[assembly:CLSCompliant(true)] at the assembly level. Said another way,
let's allow for the sbyte[] public members with the [CLSCompliant(false)]
attribute on the method, but make sure we have CLS-compliant alternatives.

--

Paul Irwin
Lead Software Engineer

Email: pirwin@feature23.com