From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.net 4?
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 15:43:09 GMT
For porting core parts of the code? sure. I just think its a waste of time
to work on porting tests, so the only thing I want to be doing is
copy-paste and then as few changes as possible (replacing import with
using, package with namespace, etc - which if we could automate that could
be great) and the rest should just compile and work because the tests
framework already supports most of what happens there.

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Paul Irwin <pirwin@feature23.com> wrote:

> I like that thinking for unit tests. I wrote a quick Java to C# converter
> since Sharpen wasn't maintained that adds 1.7 support. It uses Roslyn for
> the C# generation. I used this for some of my later porting work. It's far
> from perfect, but handles most of the Java syntax correctly. It warns you
> if it encounters an unsigned right-shift or
> break-to-label/continue-to-label.
>
> Repo: https://github.com/paulirwin/JavaToCSharp
>
> Maybe that will help?
>

> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Itamar Syn-Hershko <itamar@code972.com
> >wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > What I'll be interested in having is a unit-testing framework for
> > Lucene.NET where Java test classes can be mostly copy-pasted and just
> run.
> > That'd probably involve many extension method and a smart base class that
> > will map Java syntax stuff like Array.copy or asserts into their C#
> > equivalents.
> >
> > While it makes sense to have the core comply with .NET standards, I see
> no
> > point in duplicating the effort for testing.
> >
> > I was thinking of doing that myself but haven't got around to doing it
> yet.
> > Will be happy to help tho.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Itamar Syn-Hershko
> > Freelance Developer & Consultant
> > Author of RavenDB in Action <http://manning.com/synhershko/>
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM, michael herndon <
> > mherndon@michaelherndon.com
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > I don't mind working on the tests or working towards getting the tests
> > to a
> > > state where they compile and pass, but I don't want to duplicate work
> > > either.
> > >
> > > If the the tests are not currently being worked on, then I'll go ahead
> > and
> > > start working on getting the the Core test library into a state that it
> > can
> > > be compiled and run tests.

> moment?

> > itamar@code972.com