From mherndon michael <mhern...@michaelherndon.com>
Subject Re: Windows RT / WP8 Version
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2013 22:52:57 GMT
@Chris, thanks for updating the site.  How long did it take for the update
to the site to complete?

@Paul

To my knowledge, one would not use conditional compilation symbols or
pragma statements to support target platforms in a PCL, Portable Class
Library, project.

One would code against the subset of shared APIs that exist for the lowest
common denominator of the various profiles that are selected and then
implement things as needed.

@All

PCL

A first pass at using PCL would most likely be done by splitting the core.
 Place all the interfaces and classes that use the shared APIs in one
assembly.

The second assembly could just target the full framework for classes that
would take too long to implement right now.

>From there we could go a couple of ways.  Work towards getting everything
into a core PCL library, or just get enough of it to work in the PCL core
to provide a limited number of scenarios for other platforms.

GIT

One of the biggest advantages of moving the project to git was to take
advantages of branching and merging.  Rather than have another long chain
of debate, let people work on things that keeps them motivated and excited
which will keep the project moving forward.

I suggest we create two branches.

fast_port_4x  -
experimental_4x  -

The fast port would be for paul's contribution to date.  As previously
noted, it currently lacks the tests, documentation, and testing from the
release audit tool to put it directly into trunk at the moment, but we
should probably get that into the official repo sooner rather than later.

The experimental_4x could be the targeted approach to attempting PCL,
Tasked-based Asynchronous Programming, and .NET 4.5 without impeding the
rest of the project.

GITHUB

We need to request infra to update the apache github mirror to point to the
working git repo.

suggestions, comments, constructive criticisms are welcome.

-M