From Christopher Currens <currens.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Windows RT / WP8 Version
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2013 05:49:39 GMT
Hey guys,

I've been thinking lately of doing a real push to have Lucene.Net support
more platforms, specifically Windows RT and Windows Phone 8.  There are two
ways I can think of doing it, and each has its own specific advantages and
disadvantages.

One way, would be to utilize the Portable Class Libraries in VS 2012, and
target .NET Framework and Windows Phone (this would also give us
Silverlight).  We could leave the core pieces of Lucene.Net in that
library, and then have platform specific libraries that will share the
code.  This has a convenience advantage at the cost of fragmenting our code
base a little bit, since some parts will be spread across different
assemblies.  We'd probably need to make a platform abstraction layer which
might involve changing some core types to have abstract base classes that
could be implemented by each platform assembly.

Another way, would be to manage it ourselves using different projects.  The
source code could stay in it's existing place, and we'd add links to each
source file in the project (instead of having it copy to each directory).
 Then, each edit we make to a file would work against all of the projects
that link that file at the same time.  For platforms that don't support
certain features (one current example is ParallelSearcher only working on
4.0+ and not 3.5), they just don't link that file.  However, we still have
to make sure that the files we do link are cross-platform.

I actually don't know which one I prefer, I either need to give it more
thought or just choose one, see if I hate it, and switch.  The problem with
the Portable Class Library projects is that they aren't supported in
express editions of Visual Studio.

Comments?

Thanks,
Christopher