From Marcos Lima <marcoslima...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 4.0
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 19:41:15 GMT
It really sounds good to me, this is a kick start =). I haven't contributed
anything
yet, but I would like to help you all to get this job done.

I'm completely agree with Paul and Prescott.

I know that there is a high commitment for keep the retrocompatibility on
Lucene. Does Java Lucene API gets big changes every release?

Is the Lucene.Net a port from a stable version from a Lucene version,
right? If the Lucene API gets only minor changes every stable release (or
keep most of its source-code), we could compare the versions, check the
differences and bring them to Lucene.Net. Again, I haven't contributed with
yet, so I don't know how it is (just an idea).

What's your approach for implement simple performance improvements (without
adding references or changing methods signatures)? Does it could be done,
or "follow the java version only"?

2013/6/6 Paul Irwin <pirwin@feature23.com>

> This is just an "outsider" suggestion as I haven't contributed anything
> yet, although I will definitely help with the 4.x work as I have a vested
> interest in seeing that get completed. I think there should be one person
> (or perhaps two) guiding what the structure and workflow will look like to
> avoid chaos. If the 4.x work is going to be starting from scratch as a
> fresh port, that person should set up the project, get everything going in
> source control, create the folder structure, maybe stub out some classes,
> etc. Then divide and conquer with anyone interested in contributing,
> perhaps by namespace.
>
> I like the idea of throwing the java code in there so it's easy to
> reference.
>
> Again, I can work on Lucene.Net.Documents, Lucene.Net.Analysis, or
> Lucene.Net.Store -- or any others, those are just the ones I'm most
> familiar with the inner workings. Tell me what to do and I'll get started
> on my fork.
>
> Paul Irwin
>

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Prescott Nasser <geobmx540@hotmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hey guys -
> > I know I've been MIA a little while. We have a board report due soon - I
> > think it prudent that we advise them that we seem to have stalled
> somewhat.
> > We've got a few low hanging items out of of jira and have been responsive
> > on the mailing list to community questions, but I don't think we've done
> > anything to move forward with 4.0.
> > To that end - I'd like to *try* and start us back up moving forward. What
> > is the best way to accomplish this? If we took the java lucene 4.0 code
> and
> > committed that java to our branch and then just let people pull that down
> > and being changing / modifying is that one way to maybe make some forward
> > progress?
> > ~P

Marcos Lima
Software Developer/Tech Lead