From Christopher Currens <currens.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene v3.6
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2013 22:38:04 GMT
There are issues that need to be discussed about the 4.0 port and being
able to continue support of .NET 3.5.  I can only think of one example
right now, but I've looked through most of the code for lucene 4.0, and
there's a *very* heavy use of variance that would be difficult to maintain
outside of .NET 4.x.  If you want a good example of this, check out the
lucene.util.ast package and its usages.  This isn't the only area that uses
both contravariance and covariance, but it's the only one I could think of
off of the top of my head.

I started porting parts of it, just to see what could be done (nothing
significant).  It's been a month or so since I worked on it, so my memory
of what I found is foggy.  The variance was the biggest thing I saw that
was an issue, but I think there were a few other things.  I'd have to look
at it again to see.

Thanks,
Christopher