From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Re: Long-terms plans for supporting .NET 3.5
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 21:34:00 GMT
Just a few more notes...

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Troy Howard <thoward37@gmail.com> wrote:

> The main thing is ensuring that we consider the ASF git repo for Lucene.Net
> to be the primary source of truth (once we move over to it)  Any PRs on the
> Github mirror will need to be merged back into the ASF git repo.

We don't have to work against github. Actually, perhaps we better work
against an ASF's git repo and have it auto-mirrored to github. The way git
works, all you have to do to merge a PR is add the other repo as a remote,
fetch and merge. Github should detect that as closing the PR - and we can
probably verify that with them.

Perhaps one benefit of working on github is there is no lag and you can
immediately use their excellent history and diff tools.

Either way, I would recommend setting up a hook to email this list with
notifications about incoming PRs, just so everyone is notified. We can
continue the discussion here or there, whatever we find more convenient.

> I think we should vote on PRs on the mailing list before merging PRs, which
> would give our committers a chance (and a deadline) to get in there and do
> code review. Being able to do that from a browser makes things so much
> easier. Also allows for meaningful and detailed discussions about the code
> with line-by-line comments, etc.

+1

The rest of Stefan's worries are all covered by good guidelines on how to
work with PRs / github tools - voting etc.

So, how do we proceed?