From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Long-terms plans for supporting .NET 3.5
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:17:07 GMT
On 2013-01-16, Troy Howard wrote:

> The main thing is ensuring that we consider the ASF git repo for Lucene.Net
> to be the primary source of truth (once we move over to it)

We obviously agree here, great.

[shuffling Troy's message to get the PR stuff done before I get to Travis]

> I think we should vote on PRs on the mailing list before merging PRs, which
> would give our committers a chance (and a deadline) to get in there and do
> code review. Being able to do that from a browser makes things so much
> easier. Also allows for meaningful and detailed discussions about the code
> with line-by-line comments, etc.

All of this can be done even if you never use the "merge" button since
this would be the only piece that'd require a writable repository at
github - right?  As long as we get mail notifications for pull requests
and discussions on PRs to this list, this is totally fine I'm sure.

You can have all those benefits of PRs except for the automated merge
via a Web-UI with a read-only github mirror as well.

Personally I don't think we'd need to vote on every pull request - there
is no need to handle them differently from JIRA tickets IMHO.  My own
concerns (not sure whether they match any official ASF concern, if there
is any) are cultural not legal.

> Regarding Travis vs ASF infra CI... Well, we could definitely customize our
> CI to be whatever we wanted it to be, but Travis can be used without the
> need for us to manage it ourselves.

Many projects use ASF CI infrastructure without managing it themselves.
Maybe I just lost track of the past efforts, is it because Lucene.NET
would need special components in Jenkins slaves that we'd need to step
in?

> Also, enabling Windows/.NET support on Travis is a pretty major event
> for them, and it would be nice for some of the well known .NET open
> source projects to at least try it out. The worst it can do is to not
> run our tests/builds well and thus not be very helpful.
> ) ... and yes, we could start integrating Travis in now, just using the
> Apache mirror on GH. CouchDB and Jackrabbit Oak are both doing that
> already. That said, there's some serious delay due to the mirroring process
> being so far behind the commit.

Understood.  I'm all for giving Travis CI a try on the mirror.

Stefan