From "Gerry Suggitt" <gerry.sugg...@leafsprout.com>
Subject This may be a bug
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:45:59 GMT
Sorry to send this email directly to the developers, but I couldn't see any other way of entering
a defect.

My name is Gerry Suggitt and I work for Leafsprout Technologies, a company that creates products
for the Medical Information sector.

We have created a Master Patient Index using Lucene that works very well - we are able to
perform fuzzy matching and all the nice things that you want in a MPI.

But something terrible just happened. Fortunately this occured in our own lab - we have not
yet released the product to the field.

Sometime over the weekend, the computers holding the Lucene database rebooted (probably from
a Windows upgrade). All of the Lucene databases were blown away! Completely empty!

Recently, I had noticed the same thing when I was doing some testing, so it may be related.

We are currently using version 2.9.4.1

What I was doing in my testing was taking a snapshot of the Lucene database files (just a
copy to another directory). I would run some tests which would affect the database, so before
continuing I would copy the snapshot back.

When I started the Lucene service, the database was blown away! Completely empty!

I was able to determine what was doing this. At startup, I was performing an optimize. This
seems like a good time for me: At startup we know no client is making demands on the system.
When I commented out the call to optimize, the database remained intact up startup.

The systems that lost their databases still had the call to optimize in them.

Please help!