From Christopher Currens <currens.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene V4
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:51:46 GMT
That's not quite what I meant.  I didn't mean the committers on the
project, I'm not really worried about other's interest in the project.
 I'm invested enough myself in the project that I would keep it going
by myself if I needed to, although I already know that the others are
invested as well, and that would never happen.

When I was talking about users, I meant the users of the library who
use it in different products.  This would include the open source
projects like RavenDB and Orchard, as well as commercial users like
StackOverflow.  We've heavily broken backward compatibility from 2.9.4
to 3.0.3, which, depending on the scope of user's projects, can be a
large upgrade task.  To abandon future versions of that branch, which
would likely require few code changes for our users to upgrade, might
not be in the best interests of the project.

The 4.0 branch is fantastic, and as I said before, we had in the past
expected to have, like our java counterpart, two branches worked on in
parallel, one for the 3.x and 4.x branches.  However, as life has
gotten in the way for all of us, many are unable to put in the amount
of time we originally wanted to in the project.  So that might not be
a possible solution anymore.

I'm NOT saying that skipping out of 3.x and moving to 4.x is the wrong
thing to do.  In fact, it might be what we need to do to spark more
interest in contributers.  The bottom line is that everyone in the PMC
needs to discuss it before we make any decisions.

Thanks,
Christopher