From Robert Jordan <robe...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] Graduation
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 11:21:54 GMT
Hi,

On 02.02.2012 03:27, Jean-Sylvain Boige wrote:
> Sorry again if this is not the right thread, but what feature of .Net
> 4.0 do you currently leverage that wouldn't compile on 3.5? (which
> would be fine for us) Troy, can we really compare the impact of
> moving Lucene development to vs2010 to that of moving the user base
> to .Net 4.0 ? Again, keep in mind that the best part of Lucene.Net
> libraries currently running are probably still 2.4.1, and IMHO trying
> to get a good part of those versions back up to date is not just a
> side option: enforcing .Net 4.0 was clearly a deal breaker for us so

.NET 4.0 is only enforced by accident. There is only one place
where a bit of .NET 4.0 code is used (CloseableThreadLocal),
and there is an alternative for .NET <= 3.5 commented out in this
file.

I was able to compile 2.9.4 with the .NET 3.5 tool chanin
while targeting plain .NET 2.0 without any issue.

If someone is interested, I'd publish the necessary (minimal)
changes.

Robert