From Christopher Currens <currens.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] Blog Setup
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:54:35 GMT
I guess it wouldn't be terribly difficult to do, we would have to convert
all of the shfbproj to whatever doxygen uses.  I do think it's a little
weird to use the python-style of documentation in a .NET project however.
 I personally have never been a fan of python documentation in general
simply because I'm used the the MSDN style docs, where I have a nice TOC on
the left that I can directly browse to anything fairly easily (think the
documentation to MongoDb  http://api.mongodb.org/csharp/1.3.1/ ).  While
you do get a TOC on documentation for sphinx style, it limits you to the
current topic (and it's all on a single page using named anchors), so I
personally find it cluttered.

However, that may not matter, since developers would have access to the CHM
(though I'd prefer sandcastle's output over doxygen's), so they wouldn't
have to use the online docs if they didn't want to.  Plus, I may be in the
minority here with my opinion of what the docs should look like.  Idk, just
makes sense to me to use .NET tools for the project.  Of course, I'd take
Sphinx over javadoc any day...It hurts my eyes! :P

Thanks,
Christopher

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Troy Howard <thoward37@gmail.com> wrote:

> My understanding is that ASF cares about what is hosted at ASF more
> than they care about what isn't hosted at ASF... So you're free to do
> whatever you like externally, hence the GitHub mirrors and NuGet and
> what not.
>
> Regarding readthedocs -- it uses Sphinx/ReStructured Text...So we'd
> have to convert the XML to that format. There's a project for that
> called breathe (http://michaeljones.github.com/breathe/index.html). So
> the build server could add steps that would:
>
> - build to binary
> - run doxygen to create xml
> - run breathe to convert to RST
>
> It could commit that to some other repo like say, on github.. (since
> pulling from a repo is how RTD ingests content).. then on the RTD
> servers it'll pull the repo, look for a conf.py file (very simple
> python file) and then run sphinx-build against that directory,
> creating documentation for us.
>
> Woot! At least that way it wouldn't bomb ASF's infrastructure.
>
> I agree with Prescott that long term, using SVN for this is just not
> gonna work out. Docs do change quickly.
>
> -T
>

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Christopher Currens
> <currens.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's similar to a suggestion Stefan made in another email:
> >
> >>  The only alternative would be [...] running a
> >> dynamic server on a dedicated VM.  The later would
> >> be easier to negotiate for a top level project.
> >
> > Though, his response seems to imply that it would need to stay hosted on
> > Apache servers?  I'm really only saying that because it was suggested to
> > negotiate it for a top level project, and the use of an outside server
> > wasn't actually suggested by him.  If we can host outside of Apache
> > servers, that does seems like the most straightforward answer to our
> > problem, that would require the least amount of changes to our build
> > process (probably).
> >
> > In regards to readthedocs.org, I think it only supports restructured
> text?
> >  You have to use Sphinx (python) to output your documentation which uses
> > restructured text.  I don't know if we can output that from sandcastle.
> >  Maybe there would be another way to export the xmldoc to that format,
> but
> > idk, probably not worth the amount of effort it would take to put that in
> > our build steps.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Christopher
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Troy Howard <thoward37@gmail.com>